Nineteen drivers have received the honor of being named Captains of the American Trucking Associations‘ 2015-2016 America’s Road Team.
The Volvo-sponsored program is designed to field a team of drivers to represent trucking to the public. The drivers will travel the country speaking on behalf of the industry to communities, the media and public officials. They will address transportation and safety issues, ATA says, at community events and other places where they can reach the motoring public to share safe driving tips and advice on how to share the road with tractor-trailers.
They Road Team Captains will also advocate safety to those within the industry at terminals and truck stops by talking to fellow drivers, driver training students and corporate safety officers. They also will present trucking and safety issues to public officials, ATA says, at national, state and local levels.
“America’s Road Team represents the best of what trucking can be: dedication to safety, professionalism and pride in an industry that delivers life’s essentials every day,” said ATA President and CEO Bill Graves. “These 19 outstanding professionals join a select fraternity. Since 1986, America’s Road Team has delivered the message of safety to millions, and I’m proud that these individuals will now be representing our industry.”
The 19 captains named this week have 453 combined years of driving experience and have logged more than 30.3 million accident-free miles. They were selected this week from 31 finalists and from hundreds of applicants overall.
Road Team Captain nominees must be employed as a company driver or leased owner-operator for a full dues paying member of ATA.
The 2015-2015 America’s Road Team Captains are:
- Henry Bruster, UPS Freight, Woodville, Miss.
- Ricardo Buitrago, Con-way Freight, Kissimmee, Fla.
- Charles Demchock II, Walmart Transportation, Cocoa, Fla.
- Eric Flick, FedEx Freight, Dayton, Nev.
- David Green, Werner Enterprises, Hot Springs, Ark.
- Neil Kirk, Penske Logistics, Middletown, N.Y.
- Randall Luschen, Weinrich Truck Line Inc., Merrill, Iowa
- John McKown, UPS Freight, East Berlin, Pa.
- Chad Miller, ABF Freight System Inc., Crown Point, Ind.
- Bill Minor, Con-way Freight, West Milwaukee, Wis.
- Eric Ramsdell, Walmart Transportation, Wittmann, Ariz.
- Paul Savill, UPS Freight, Hamilton, Ohio
- Russell Simpson, Holland Inc., South Vienna, Ohio
- Danny Smith, Big G Express Inc., Shelbyville, Tenn.
- Tim Vogt, Con-way Freight, Loganville, Ga.
- Kirk Weis, ABF Freight System Inc., Rio Rancho, N.M.
- William West, ABF Freight System Inc., Roopville, Ga.
- Derrick Whittle, Cargo Transporters Inc., Fieldale, Va.
- Scott Woodrome, FedEx Freight, Middletown, Ohio