Please disable your Ad Blocker in your browser's extentions.

FMCSA: States can take out-of-state CLP applications of any potential trucker

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration is issuing regulatory guidance to clarify that states can choose to accept out-of-state commercial learner’s permit (CLP) applications and administer the general knowledge test to any out-of-state applicants, not just military personnel.

In a notice to be published in the Federal Register Thursday, Aug. 3, FMCSA says the state administering the general knowledge test will send the test results “directly, securely and electronically” to the applicant’s home state, and the driver’s home state agrees to accept the test results and issue the CLP.

The guidance issued this week is in line with FMCSA’s final rule issued Oct. 13, 2016, that amended CDL regulations to ease the transition of military personnel into the trucking industry. Previously, states could only accept out-of-state applications from military personnel, but the new guidance applies to all drivers.

FMCSA clarifies that the guidance does not allow states to issue a CLP or CDL to a driver who is not domiciled in that state – they must be issued by the driver’s home state.

FMCSA issues rule to help vets become truck drivers

FMCSA issues rule to help vets become truck drivers

Military personnel who drove commercial vehicles in the service looking to transition into the trucking industry will now have a full year to apply for ...


There are no comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Matt Cole is an Associate Editor for CCJ and Overdrive. Reach him at