Fifty-three roadside inspectors representing jurisdictions across North America convened Aug. 2-8 in Columbus, Ohio, to compete in the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance’s North American Inspectors Championship. This year, Richard Robinson, a CVSA-certified North American Standard Level I inspector from Ontario, was awarded the Jimmy K. Ammons Grand Champion Award for his combined performances in seven competition elements including the North American Standard Level I Inspection and North American Standard HazMat/Transportation of Dangerous Goods Inspection.
“We are proud to recognize and reward each of our 53 roadside inspectors from across North America who not only demonstrate their professional excellence and dedication to highway safety but inspire others to do the same,” says Stephen A. Keppler, CVSA’s executive director. “Their enthusiasm and passion goes a long way in advancing commercial vehicle safety and saving lives due to the information, techniques and experiences they will share with others in furtherance of improving uniformity and highway safety standards across the continent.”
NAIC is managed by CVSA and funded in part by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. NAIC has been recognized by the American Society of Association Executives as an event that “Advances America.” Award presenters included FMCSA Administrator Anne S. Ferro, Keppler and CVSA President Francis “Buzzy” France.
“Everyday lives are saved on our nation’s highways because of the exceptional skill and tireless commitment to safety of commercial motor vehicle inspectors,” Ferro says. “The hard work of these dedicated law enforcement professionals makes a real difference. FMCSA is proud to join CVSA in saluting this year’s NAIC winner, and all of the men and women who competed in Columbus. Thank you for being leaders in commercial vehicle and highway safety.”
In addition to the Grand Champion award, the following also were presented:
• High Points United States: James Canard – Arkansas
• High Points Canada: Richard Robinson – Ontario
• High Points Mexico: Gamaliel Perez – Mexico
• North American Standard Level I Inspection: 1. Richard Robinson – Ontario; 2. Benjamin Schropfer – Nebraska; 3. Robert Keeney – Massachusetts
• North American Standard Level V Passenger Vehicle (Motorcoach) Inspection: 1. John Jackson – Alberta; 2. Richard Robinson – Ontario; 3. Kasey Smolha – Utah
• North American Standard Hazardous Materials/Transportation of Dangerous Goods and Cargo Tank/Bulk Packagings Inspection: 1. Brad Gibson – Texas; 2. James Canard – Arkansas; 3. Richard Robinson – Ontario
• John Youngblood Award of Excellence: Christopher Smithen – Nevada
• Team Award: Yellow Team: Team Leader – Shelia Lucas; John Jackson – Alberta; Wayne Bradshaw – Illinois; Robert Keeney – Massachusetts; Benjamin Schropfer – Nebraska; John Sova – North Dakota; Adam Pockette – Vermont; Juel Leuis – Wyoming