Eighteen companies have been selected as division winners in the Truckload Carriers Association’s 35th annual National Fleet Safety Awards, which recognize trucking companies that demonstrate a superior commitment to safety and accident reduction.
“Safety has always been the top priority in this industry,” says Don Lacy, chairman of TCA’s Safety & Security Division and director of safety for Prime Inc., based in Springfield, Mo. “TCA developed these awards 36 years ago to recognize the top performers. Today, receiving a National Fleet Safety Award has become a highly coveted badge of honor that recognizes and rewards companies for working tirelessly to improve their procedures in the safety arena.”
Fleets applying for the awards, sponsored by Great West Casualty Co., have completed the first of a two-step process. First, their accident frequency per million miles driven was calculated for each of six mileage-based divisions. The top three division winners were selected and have been audited by an independent expert to verify their accident frequency numbers.
The 18 companies will be recognized at an awards ceremony to be held during TCA’s Annual Convention, set for March 13-16 at the Hilton Bayfront Hotel and San Diego Convention Center in San Diego, as well as during TCA’s Safety & Security Division Annual Meeting, set for May 15-17 at the Embassy Suites Murfreesboro Hotel and Conference Center in Murfreesboro, Tenn.
All division winners now are eligible to compete for two grand prizes, one in the “less than 25 million annual miles” category and one in the “25 million or more annual miles” category. To win the grand prize, companies will be judged on their overall safety programs, both on- and off-highway, including employee driver/independent contractor selection procedures, training, supervision, accident investigation, inspection and maintenance of equipment, and outside activities including general highway safety.
As with the division winners, the two grand prize winning companies will be honored at an awards ceremony to be held during TCA’s Annual Convention and then again during TCA’s Safety & Security Division Annual Meeting. Below are the names of the 2010 top divisional winners based on low accident frequency ratios per million miles. Companies are listed according to the order that they placed within each category.
Division I Winners (less than 5 million miles)
• Art Pape Transfer Inc., Dubuque, Iowa
• Excargo Services Inc., Houston
• Five Star Trucking Inc., Willoughby, Ohio
Division II Winners (5-14.99 million miles)
• Brian Kurtz Trucking Ltd., Breslau, Ontario
• Stagecoach Cartage & Dist. LP, El Paso, Texas
• Diamond Transportation System Inc., Racine, Wis.
Division III Winners (15-24.99 million miles)
• MacKinnon Transport Inc., Guelph, Ontario
• D&D Sexton Inc., Carthage, Mo.
• Convoy Systems L.L.C., Kansas City, Kan.
Division IV Winners (25-49.99 million miles)
• Kennesaw Transportation, White, Ga.
• Sunrise Express Inc., Grand Island, Neb.
• Transport Designs Inc., Burnsville, Minn.
Division V Winners (50-99.99 million miles)
• Carter Express Inc., Anderson, Ind.
• Groupe Robert Inc., Boucherville, Québec
• Hogan Transports Inc., St. Louis
Division VI Winners (100 million or more miles)
• Bison Transport Inc., Winnipeg, Manitoba
• Gordon Trucking Inc., Pacific, Wash.
• Roehl Transport Inc., Marshfield, Wis.