Put this in Category Obvious for anyone working at a fleet: Filling open truck driving jobs is difficult.
Backing up that anecdotal evidence is this: A recent report from the American Staffing Association says trucking driving jobs are the third hardest in the country to fill.
“Truck drivers” landed at No. 3 on ASA’s annual Skills Gap Index, which measures the hardest-to-fill occupations in the U.S. The Top 10 list was released during ASA’s annual Staffing World convention this week.
The only two jobs in the country that are harder to fill, according to the index, are occupational therapists jobs and physical therapists jobs.
ASA uses metrics like demand, supply of active candidates and total population of the industry to compute the index, concentrating on certain scores in fields with 2,000 jobs or more.
Here’s the full Top 10 list:
- Occupational therapists
- Physical therapists
- Truck drivers, heavy and tractor-trailer
- Occupational therapist assistants
- Speech-language pathologists
- Physician assistants
- Merchandise displayers and window trimmers
- Physical therapist assistants
- Nursing instructors and teachers, postsecondary
- Computer software engineers, applications