Trucking news and briefs for Friday, Nov. 5, 2021:
FMCSA committee to discuss trucking workforce needs
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s Motor Carrier Safety Advisory Committee (MCSAC) is meeting Dec. 6-7 to discuss workforce skills for the trucking industry and identify gaps, opportunities and potential best practices for meeting future workforce needs and driver retention in trucking.
The group will also discuss the role of transportation systems in supporting existing supply chains and risks associated with those transportation systems and the safe and efficient movement of freight across the U.S.
The meeting will be held virtually from 9:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. each day. Registration and written materials to be reviewed during the meeting must be received no later than Monday, November 29.
Registration will be available here in the coming days. The meeting will be open to the public for its entirety.
Penske recognizes 22 carriers for outstanding service
Penske Logistics celebrated 22 winners during the second annual Freight Management Carrier Awards program. The event was held virtually Thursday afternoon.
Category winners were selected from among Penske’s expansive base of trucking carriers operating within its freight management operations. There are several award qualifications: A Penske Logistics enterprise scorecard combined with customer, operations and sourcing feedback.
“It is my pleasure to hand out these deserving honors to our 2021 winners,” said LeAnne Coulter, vice president of freight management for Penske Logistics. “These transportation leaders are especially impressive in supporting our freight management customers by going above and beyond during these challenging times.”
These are the 2021 Penske Logistics Freight Management Carrier Award recipients:
- U.S. Less-Than-Truckload National Carrier Award – Estes
- U.S. Less-Than-Truckload Regional Carrier Award – Dayton Freight; Pitt-Ohio
- U.S. Truckload National Carrier Award – Crane Transport; Mercer Transportation
- U.S. Truckload Regional Carrier Award – A.D. Transport Express; Carter Express; GSA International; Pete & Sons Association; Select Dedicated Solutions
- Canada Truckload Award – Charger Logistics; Hunter Express; Lion Force Transport
- Broker Services Provider Award – Kirsch Transportation Services; Spot
- Flatbed Services Provider Award – Buchanan Hauling and Rigging; Keim TS
- Liquid Bulk Services Provider Award – American PetroLog; Andrews Logistics
- Refrigerated Services Provider Award – Southland Transportation
- Intermodal Provider Award – Alliance Shippers Inc.; Hub Group