Alabama makes IRP, IFTA permitting chores easier

user-gravatar Headshot

Commercial vehicle owners and motor carriers now can get permits online through the Alabama Department of Revenue.

Vehicles traveling the interstate system that are subject to the International Registration Plan and International Fuel Tax Agreement are required to have an IFTA fuel license and decal as well as an IRP license plate and cab card. In lieu of IRP and/or IFTA licensing, an IRP trip permit and IFTA fuel permit may be obtained online. Vehicles that are subject to IRP and IFTA are those that travel on the interstates, weigh at least 26,000 pounds and have three axles on their power units.

The cost for seven-day permits is $20 each for an IFTA fuel permit and an IRP trip permit, or $40 for both. For more information about permits and licenses required under IRP and IFTA, call the Alabama Department of Revenue’s Motor Vehicle Division at 334-242-9000 or go to