Ryder Systems says it counts safety as one of its core values and today released a timely reminder to drivers to be aware of safety at all times.
|According to Ryder, Last year alone, there were over 500,000 large truck and commercial vehicle accidents.|
|According to a study conducted by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, about 55% of truck crashes were the direct result of the truck driver. In addition, if you look at the top ten reasons accidents happen, you’ll see that most of them are driver-related.
The Top 10 Reasons Accidents Happen:
1. Failure of truck driver to adhere to or obey the rules of the road
2. Speeding or unsafe acceleration
3. Under-inflated tires on big rig trucks
4. Cargo shifting or improperly loaded commercial trucks
5. Truck driver fatigue (over-driving without proper rest breaks)
6. Truck driver substance abuse
7. Improper braking or deceleration
8. Poor truck maintenance or shoddy repair work
9. Vehicular blind spots
10. Careless or reckless driving
To help drivers stay focused on safety, Ryder Systems has released a free guide entitled, “Do you follow the rules of the road?” Drivers can download it for free here.