Navistar-International has filed a motion requesting consolidation of the more than two dozen lawsuits brought against it over alleged problems with its EGR-only engine line, along with the 21 other similar lawsuits the company is expecting to come.
The Oct. 3 request was filed with a federal judicial panel on multidistrict litigation, according to court documents.
Navistar says in the motion that it is facing 15 lawsuits in federal courts around the country and and 11 suits in state courts. It also says it has received notices of intents to sue from 21 other parties.
All of the lawsuits make similar allegations against the company, Navistar says. The allegations are, in short, that Navistar’s 2008-2013 model MaxxForce engines had defects the company knew about yet concealed from buyers.
Navistar was the only major North American manufacturer to use EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) to try to meet 2010 emissions standards. All others opted to use selective catalytic reduction.
In its Oct. 3 filing, Navistar asks that the suits not only be consolidated, but transferred to a federal district court in Illinois to be heard by Judge Joan B. Gottschall.
Navistar headquarters are outside of Chicago, and most of the documents and witnesses in the cases are in Illinois, Navistar says.
A federal judge ruled in August against a Navistar request to dismiss some of the lawsuits brought against it.
Tango Transport last month filed a suit against the company claiming it bough more than 450 trucks with defective MaxxForce engines.