Trucking news and briefs for Monday, Nov. 30, 2020:
New York-based trucking company owner charged in chameleon carrier scheme
The owner of a New York-based trucking company has been charged after allegedly concealing ownership information to cover up a negative safety rating.
According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of New York, Tony Kirik was charged with making false statements to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, U.S. DOT and conspiring to do the same. The charges carry a maximum of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.
According to the criminal complaint, Kirik owned and controlled Dallas Logistics, which was put in the name of a nominee owner to conceal the fact that it was affiliated with another trucking company, Orange Transportation, that Kirik also controlled, the complaint alleges.
Orange Transportation had received a negative rating from the DOT, the complaint says, which would have also applied to Dallas Logistics had the true relationship between the two entities been disclosed to FMCSA.
The complaint also alleges that Kirk directed his employees to create and present false documents and representations to FMCSA.
TCA recognizes 18 fleets for safety records
The Truckload Carriers Association and Great West Casualty Company named 18 division winners in the 45th annual TCA Fleet Safety Awards competition. These awards identify trucking companies that have demonstrated a strong commitment to safety, according to TCA.
The top three winning companies in each of six mileage-based divisions had the lowest accident frequency ratios per million miles, annually.
Division I winners (less than 5 million miles):
- First place: Diamond Transportation System Inc.
- Second place: Spring Creek Carriers Inc.
- Third place: FTC Transportation Inc.
Division II winners (5-14.99 million miles):
- First place: Mill Creek Motor Freight
- Second place: Double Diamond Transport Inc.
- Third place: AAT Carriers
Division III winners (15-24.99 million miles):
- First place: Elgin Motor Freight
- Second place: Grand Island Express Inc.
- Third place: Smokey Point Distributing
Division IV winners (25-49.99 million miles):
- First place: Bay & Bay Transportation
- Second place: Erb International Inc.
- Third place: Johnson Feed Inc.
Division V winners (50-99.99 million miles):
- First place: Groupe Robert Inc.
- Second place: Wilson Logistics
- Third place: Freymiller
Division VI winners (100 million or more miles):
- First place: Bison Transport
- Second place: May Trucking Company
- Third place: CFI
The 18 division winners have been invited to compete for one of two grand prizes – one for carriers with a total annual mileage less than 25 million miles, and the other for carriers with mileage greater than 25 million miles.
Grand prize winners will be announced at TCA’s 2021 Annual Convention, April 17-20 at the Wynn Las Vegas Resort.