Peterbilt Motors Co. now offers Holland FW17 Series fifth wheels for its full lineup of medium- and heavy-duty tractors, which the truck maker says helps reduce weight without compromising performance.
The new optional fifth wheels – available in fixed and air slide versions – are up to 16 percent lighter than comparable competitive products and have a vertical load rating of 50,000 pounds and a maximum 150,000-pound drawbar pull rating.
“The Holland FW17 Series fifth wheels are designed to handle on-highway applications up to 95,000 pounds gross combination weight, letting customers confidently pull loads approaching heavy-haul,” says Scott Pearson, Peterbilt assistant general manager. “And even with its lower weight – 16 percent lighter than comparable models – it is very robust and has only four moving parts for simple, efficient operation.”
According to Holland, the FW17 Series fifth wheels are backed by a five-year/500,000-mile performance guarantee.
Other features of the new fifth wheels include:
· Easy-to-pull drop release handle to minimize the uncoupling effort and protect the handle from kingpin damage;
· Improved locking system, with high coupling protection, that combines a cast steel front lock and forged steel rear lock;
· New release mechanism with automatic secondary lock;
· Standard no-lube articulation pocket liners that eliminate maintenance of the fifth wheel pivot points;
· Lock-to-kingpin contact area that is up to 87 percent larger than competitive models.
Holland FW17 Series fifth wheels are available on Peterbilt tractor configurations of the Models 379, 387, 386, 385, 378, 357 and the medium-duty Model 335.
For more information, go to www.peterbilt.com.