YRC Worldwide Inc. announced the inaugural winners of the Destination Green Environmental Excellence Award for employee leadership in sustainability. Five employees were chosen for the award that recognizes environmental leadership in a variety of areas, including efficient use of energy, emissions reductions, customer and vendor environmental partnerships and community outreach on promoting sustainable practices.
“We are proud of all our employees’ efforts to promote environmental sustainability,” says James Welch, chief executive officer of the Overland Park, Kan.-based company. “These employees have demonstrated exemplary leadership, ingenuity and creativity to preserve natural resources and reduce our carbon footprint. They have worked in partnership with customers and vendors to identify and implement sustainable transportation solutions.”
The inaugural recipients of the award are:
• Joseph Bartholomew, recognized for his efforts in developing an emissions model to assist customers in determining their carbon footprint associated with their shipments with YRC Worldwide companies;
• Randy Briggs, a city driver and a current member of the America’s Road Team, who received the award for public outreach during his Road Team tenure to promote environmental sustainability;
• Darrin Brown, recognized for initiating processes that led to a new electronic payment system that has resulted in a significant reduction in the use of paper processing and saved significant amounts of energy resources;
• Alphonso Lewis, a city driver, former Grand Champion of the National Truck Driving Championships and a current member of America’s Road Team, who received the award for public outreach during his Road Team tenure to promote environmental sustainability; and
• Dan Miller, who earned the award for his commitment and leadership of the company’s U.S. Environmental Protection Agency SmartWay voluntary emissions reduction partnership.