CARB reminds truck owners of emissions reduction date

user-gravatar Headshot

The California Air Resources Board is reminding owners of heavier diesel trucks and buses that new emissions reducing regulations go into effect Jan. 1, 2012, and many businesses may need to report compliance online. The regulation, adopted in 2008 and later amended in 2010, applies to all privately owned and federal government diesel trucks and buses that transport in California.

“Fleet owners who need to get the facts should call CARB’s diesel hotline or go to the CARB Website for assistance as soon as possible,” says Erik White, CARB assistant chief of mobile sources. “We continue to make tools available to help truckers better understand the regulation and determine which options make the most sense for their businesses.” Several options also are available for funding ahead of regulatory deadlines, White says.

The regulation provides owners of heavier trucks and buses – those with a gross vehicle weight rating greater than 26,000 pounds – with two options to reduce diesel emissions. They can:
1. Follow a staggered implementation schedule that requires 1996-1999 model year engines be retrofitted with a diesel particulate matter filter by Jan. 1, 2012; or
2. Use a flexible phase-in option that requires any 30 percent of vehicles in the fleet to have a PM filter. This option requires fleet owners to report information about all their heavier vehicles to CARB by Jan. 31, 2012. Fleets that report can also take advantage of credits and special provisions.

Owners of small fleets – defined as one to three trucks with a GVWR greater than 14,000 pounds – can postpone the January 2012 compliance requirement for their heavier trucks until 2014, but they must report their fleet information to CARB by Jan. 31, 2012, in order to receive the extension. Lighter diesel trucks with a GVWR of 14,001 to 26,000 pounds have no compliance requirements until 2015.

Business owners may find funding opportunities to upgrade their fleets through either the Carl Moyer Program, which offers incentive grants for buying cleaner-than-required engines yielding early or extra emissions reductions, or by using Proposition 1B funds, available under the Goods Movement Emissions Reduction Program. Truck owners seeking compliance assistance and funding opportunities can:
• Visit CARB’s Truck Stop at;
• Call the Diesel Hotline at 866- 634-3735;
• Review the Truck and Bus Regulation Fact Sheet ; and/or
• E-mail