The nomination period for the annual Trucking’s Top Rookie contest is open now until June 24.
The award, named in honor of the late Mike O’Connell, recognizes the best professional truck driver who has been on the job for less than a year. Nominations may be made online here.
A panel of seven judges will review each nominee and select 10 finalists. The winner will be announced Friday, Aug. 26 at the Great American Trucking Show in Dallas. The contest is a partnership between Truckers News, the Truckload Carriers Association, Commercial Vehicle Training Association, Rand McNally, Pilot Flying J, Progressive Commercial Insurance, National Association of Publicly Funded Driving Schools, American Trucking Associations and the Red Eye Radio Network.
The winner will receive the following:
- $10,000 cash
- $1,000 cash and 100,000 Pilot Flying J MyReward points
- A custom plaque from Award Company of America
- Interview on Red Eye Radio Network with Eric Harley
- A feature in Truckers News
- $1,000 worth of DAS Products merchandise featuring the RoadPro Getting Started Living On-The-Go Package
- American Trucking Associations “Good Stuff Trucks Bring It” package, which includes a polo shirt with logo, baseball cap, model truck and utility knife
- A dash camera from COBRA Electronics
- A GPS unit and a Motor Carrier Road Atlas from Rand McNally
Second through 10th place will also receive a variety of gifts.
The late Mike O’Connell was formerly the executive director of the Commercial Vehicle Training Association, and originated the idea of honoring a top rookie driver to help show new drivers they are important to and appreciated by the trucking industry.