The Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration will conduct a public meeting in preparation for the 40th session of the United Nations Sub-Committee of Experts on the Transport of Dangerous Goods, to be held Nov. 28-Dec. 7 in Geneva, Switzerland. During this meeting, PHMSA will be soliciting comments relative to potential new work items which may be considered for inclusion in its international agenda.
PHMSA’s meeting will be Thursday, Nov. 17, from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. at DOT Headquarters, West Building, Conference Rooms 8-10, 1200 New Jersey Ave. S.E., Washington, DC 20590. Preregistration is not required, but participants are encouraged to arrive early to allow time for security checks necessary to obtain access to the building. Specific information on conference call-in and live meeting access will be posted when available at www.phmsa.dot.gov/hazmat/regs/international.
General topics on the agenda for the UNSCOE TDG meeting include:
• Listing, classification and packing;
• Electric storage systems;
• Miscellaneous proposals of amendments to the model regulations;
• Electronic data interchange for documentation purposes;
• Cooperation with the International Atomic Energy Agency;
• Global harmonization of transport of dangerous goods regulations;
• Guiding principles for the model regulations; and
• Globally Harmonized System of classification and labeling of chemicals (GHS).