Trucks equipped with Kidde plastic-handle or push button “Pindicator” fire extinguishers are included in most recent recall from Navistar, according to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration documents.
These fire extinguisher models could become clogged, preventing them from discharging properly. Additionally, in certain models, the nozzle can detach from the valve assembly with enough to cause injury.
The Navistar recall is for 10,195 of the following International year and model tractors:
- 2000-2001 International 4700
- 2000-2002 International 4900
- 2001-2003 International 9100I
- 2002-2003, 2005, 2007-2009, 2012-2014, 2016-2018 International Durastar
- 2018 International LT
- 2012, 2014-2017 International Prostar
- 2014-2015 International Terrastar
- 2001-2003 International Transtar
According to NHTSA’s documents, Navistar began notifying affected truck owners on Feb. 9. Kidde is responsible for replacing the fire extinguishers. Owners of affected truck models can contact Navistar customer service at 1-331-332-1590 or Kidde customer service at 1-855-271-0773. NHTSA’s recall number is 17V-792. More information from Kidde on which fire extinguishers are included in the recall can be found here.