Nominations for Goodyear’s 28th annual North America Highway Hero program are being accepted until Nov. 30. Nomination forms and program details can be obtained by calling the Goodyear Highway Hero Hotline at 330-796-8183. The nomination form also is available on the program’s website at www.goodyear.com/truck/news/hero.html.
For award consideration, the following necessary criteria are met:
• The nominee must be a full-time truck driver;
• The nominee must reside in the United States or Canada;
• The incident must have occurred in the United States or Canada;
• The nominee must have been on the job or on the way to or from work, and in his/her rig at the time of the incident;
• The nominee’s truck at the time of the incident must have 14 wheels or more; and
• The incident must have occurred between Nov. 16, 2009 and Nov. 15, 2010, to qualify for this year’s program.
After the nomination period is closed, the list will be pared down to four finalists, with one individual selected by a trucking industry panel of judges to serve as the annual ambassador for the program.
“The Highway Hero program was created by The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company to recognize professional truck drivers and the lifesaving rescues and roadside assistance they provide as their jobs take them across North America,” says Joseph Copeland, Goodyear’s vice president of commercial tire systems. “Through this program, we’ve heard hundreds of stories of bravery and selflessness. We believe the public should hear about these acts of heroism as well.”