To be considered for the award, drivers must meet the following criteria:
- Be a full-time truck driver
- Reside in the U.S. or Canada
- The heroic incident must have occurred in the U.S. or Canada
- The nominee’s truck must have had 12 wheels or more when the incident occurred
- The nominee must have been on the job, or on the way to or from work, when the incident occurred
- The incident must have taken place between Nov. 16, 2017, and Nov. 16, 2018
After the nomination period, Goodyear will narrow down the candidates to three finalists, and a panel of trucking industry media representatives will select the winner.
The three finalists will receive expense-paid trips to the 2019 Mid-America Trucking Show in Louisville, Kentucky, where the winner will be announced.
The 2018 winner, Frank Vieira, saved an SUV driver who had run into the back of a parked roll-off truck and had his neck pierced by a piece of broken steering wheel.