Reigning National Champion Scott Woodrome is back to defend his title. He tells the room full of competitors:
Trophies are only a momentary celebration. But the friendships you make at this competition will last a lifetime. #NTDC2019 pic.twitter.com/RRDcnoV27U
— American Trucking (@TRUCKINGdotORG) August 15, 2019
An Ohio-based truck driver for FedEx Freight was named the Bendix Grand Champion at the 2019 National Truck Driving Championships for the second consecutive year.
The American Trucking Associations announced that Scott Woodrome once again claimed the honors after he competed in the Twins division. He has been in the trucking industry for 25 years, 13 of which have been with FedEx Freight.
Last year, he won the Bendix Grand Champion trophy after competing in the Tanker class. He also previously won the 2017 National Champion Award in the Tanker class and six Ohio state championships.
“Congratulations to Scott and his great team at FedEx Freight, as well as the entire Ohio trucking industry, for repeating as this year’s Bendix Grand Champion Award winner,” said ATA President and CEO Chris Spear. “This process began with thousands of drivers competing at the state level, but only one driver can emerge as overall grand champion. It’s a true reflection of Scott’s commitment to safety and the trucking industry as a whole that he was able to take home top honors again this year.”
Woodrome also took home the Twins class national title. He lives in Middletown, Ohio, with his wife, Lorraine.
ATA also recognized John Sanderson as the 2019 Rookie of the Year after his performance in the three-axle division. To qualify as a rookie, drivers must be first-time competitors at the state level who advanced to nationals. There were 32 rookies at the National Truck Driving Championships competition.
Champions from each of the nine vehicle classes are:
- Brian Walker –UPS Freight, North Carolina
- Jeffrey Slaten – YRC Freight, Florida
- John Sanderson – FedEx Express, Oregon
- Adam Heim – FedEx Freight, Idaho
- David Rohman – FedEx Express, North Carolina
- James Plaxco – Old Dominion Freight Line, Oregon
- David Hall – ABF Freight, Arkansas
- Ina Daly – XPO Logistics, Arizona
- Alphonso Lewis – YRC Freight, Alabama
- Basher Pierce – FedEx Freight, North Carolina
- Scott Osborne – FedEx Freight, Mississippi
- Eric Flick – FedEx Freight, Nevada
- Mike White – Walmart Transportation, Indiana
- Terry Wood – Walmart Transportation, Pennsylvania
- Michael Barnes – Walmart Transportation, Virginia
- Jason Imhoff – Walmart Transportation, Ohio
- Robert Dolan – XPO Logistics, Pennsylvania
- Matthew Hart – FedEx Freight, Nevada
- Paul Brandon – FedEx Freight Connecticut
- George Wells – Shamrock Foods Company, Arizona
- Cecil Hicks – FedEx Freight, North Carolina
- Scott Woodrome – FedEx Freight, Ohio
- David Mogler – FedEx Freight, Colorado
- Shannon Lynch – United Parcel Service, Indiana
- Adam Stroup – FedEx Express, Nebraska
- Gregory Long – FedEx Express, Virginia
- Eric Damon – FedEx Express, Colorado