Despite failing to win a single competition category, Jeffrey Schlecht, a technician with Omaha Trucks, scored high enough across the board to become The Technology and Maintenance Council’s second back-to-back SuperTech Champion. Schlecht, who is based at Omaha Truck’s facilty in Norfolk, Neb., competed against professional vehicle technicians from across the country this week in Raleigh, N.C., at a technical competition held during the group’s Fall Meeting.
The competition included 16 separate skills tests such as Wheel End, Brakes, Powertrain and HVAC, as well as a written exam. Schlecht said he was “nervous” about his chances to be named champion a second time as individual event winners were announced and his name wasn’t called, but pleased his overall performance was strong enough to carry the day.
Schlecht noted that last year’s win left him better prepared to speak before the packed TMC luncheon crowd on hand to honor the participants and winners and thank the event’s sponsors, including WheelTime, which hosted the award ceremony luncheon. But he didn’t feel his previous win gave him an upper hand in this year’s competition. “They (TMC) changed the test up pretty well,” he said. “If anything, I though this year’s test was a lot tougher.”
As 2011 SuperTech Grand Champion, Schlecht received a host of prizes, including:
• A trip for two to the Daytona 500 sponsored by TMC;
• A $1,000 gift card from Navistar Truck;
• A professional-grade Snap-On Tool Box;
• 1-years subscription to Repair-Connect.net from Mitchell 1 valued at $1,500;
• A Grand Champion’s commemorative jacket from TMC;
• A J-pro bundle from Noregon;
• Replica, engraved trophy truck from Tonka;
• A Reliance Dream Shop from Reliance Supply valued at $5,700, including a $100-a-month credit for 12 months to keep it stocked with the latest micro barcode scanners;
• An Extech DC400 & Samplex 120 watt inverter from Purkey Electric; and
• A Midtronics EXP-1000 HD Amp Kits valued at $2,400.
The second-place winner received a 2nd place won a trip for four to next year’s Brickyard 400 sponsored by BorgWarner, a $500 gift card from Navistar Truck, a Extech DC400 from Purkey Electric and a Midtronics EXP-1000 HD Amp Kits valued at $2,400. The third-place winner received a $500 gift card from Navistar Truck, a $500 tool certificate fromMac Tools and a Midtronics EXP-1000 HD Amp Kits valued at $2,400.